Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unified snort logs to text?

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:43:31 -0500

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Steve Marotta <smarotta () cra com> wrote:

Is there a way to use Barnyard to simply take the unified logs that Snort
produces in NIDS mode and turn them into text files? I see that Barnyard
reads the data into a database; I don't need all of that, just something to
generate a text file with a list of high-level network events.

In barnyard2.conf example distributed with the source.

This might be what your looking for.

# alert_fast
#
# Purpose: Converts data to an approximation of Snort's "fast alert" mode.
#
# Arguments: file <file>, stdout
# arguments should be comma delimited.
# file - specifiy alert file
# stdout - no alert file, just print to screen
#
# Examples:
# output alert_fast
# output alert_fast: stdout