Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort admin interface GUI type

From: Jaime Nebrera <jnebrera () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 09:23:24 +0100

   Hi Randy, Im going to reply this just once. For sure, your comments
show how well have you dig into the available information. I dont want
to feed such a troll and start a flame war, thus dont expect to see
further replies on this.
Because of my consistent annoyance at people taking open source software
and selling it outright or putting their logo on a Dell box, I just
wanted to chime in here.

   At least you could have guessed this one right as they are not even
Dell's
You mentioned "client deadline" so I assume this isn't a charity.

   Of course is not. And?
Have you returned anything to the open source projects from which you've
"packaged" for your clients/customers?
    Have you just taken a few minutes from your time to look at the info?

   We have made public and clear we were taking existing open source
software and glue it toguether (Snort, Snorby, Chef, pf_ring, CentOS,
...). We also have made it public and clear we developed our own set of
features and capabilities (yes, I'm guilty, under funding from a client)
and, oh my, made them available for free to the community (please spank
me for this). We had made it public that we funded Luca Deri to do some
very specific job on pf_ring and wooow we will further do so this year.

   Im sure you feel guilty for grabbing for free the work done by our
company funded by other company. Im sure you feel guilty we convinced
such client to make this work public, and not keep it for itself. Im
sure you feel guilty to discover we did such a good job that they
decided to further fund it for another year and again, you will be able
to grab it for free.

Another curiosity I have is, if someone is willing to pay for a product,
what makes them choose a knockoff instead of the original?

   Mmm, maybe because there are original pieces done by us? Maybe
because they like our logo? Maybe because we have more sun here in Seville?

  I say this
not to be snarky, but out of pure huh?-ness.

   Sure

Disclaimer.- I work for the company developing redBorder