Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS architecture

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 20:18:28 -0500

On 11/16/2012 17:41, k vijay sai prashanth wrote:
I have asked this question before and din't get any straightforward replies so
he goes my question again.

i believe i do recall this question and some of the answers you got...

I have four sensor logging events to a database on the local machine. How should
the architecture usually be?

architecture? of the machines? of the network layout?

Should all the sensors be logging events to a
common database server?

you can if you want or you can have each logging to its own database... it
depends on your network's needs and your protection design... are you running
multiple snort instances against the traffic on one interface or are you running
multiple snorts looking at traffic on different interfaces? each has its own
needs...

How do I implement this database server.

i suspect that many use mySQL based on a lot of what i've read over the years...
some use dedicated servers for their database since they have tons of traffic
they are working with coming in over some very fat pipes... some might implement
them on the machine(s) running their aggregation and reporting software like
barnyard2 and the like...

This question may seem trivial but please humour me and be as clear as possible.

it is not trivial but it is also not really possible to give one straight answer
because it depends on your network and its needs for protection... many are
using snort inline whereas i'm aware of many that run snort "on the side"
sniffing everything flowing on un-numbered interfaces (ie: no IP numbers) so
they cannot be detected or specifically targeted... some folks have them with
specific control interfaces that only the admin side can access (3 NICs in the
box, 2 for the traffic passing thru and the other one for admin and control)...
others run snort right on their perimeter router/firewall box with all the tools
on that same box... it is up to you to decide what is the best for the
network(s) you are protecting and how to go about setting all of that up... then
as specific questions as they arise :)