Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and Proxmox

From: Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:12:58 +0000

You should start with running TCPdump on the listening interface on
the snort box to make sure it's seeing the packets you expect it to
see.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Josh Bitto <jbitto () onlineschool ca> wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I’m new on using snort and I’m needing to lean on your expertise. We’ve
decided to use snort on our network and in doing so I’ve setup a small test
lab away from the actual network to see how this IDS works. So here’s the
problem…..I can’t get snort to show any logs. I want to be able to see if
it’s actually working or not.

I set up a stand-alone server with proxmox on it.

Created 2 VM’s

One is Pfsense

The other is just a xp machine.

In proxmox interface.conf looks like this.

Config looks like this:

Auto lo

Iface lo inet loopback

Auto VMbr0

Iface vmbr0 inet static

                Address 192.168.3.15

                Netmask  255.255.252.0

                Gateway 192.168.1.1

                Bridge_ports eth0

                Bridge_stp off

                Bridge_fd 0

Auto vmbr1

Iface vmbr1 inet manual

                Bridge_ports eth1

                Bridge_stp off

                Bridge_fd 0

I did everything to spec in pfsense….its pretty straight forward.

1.       Setup the interface on pfsense to match in proxmox

2.       Downloaded the snort package

3.       Obtained a oinkmaster code

4.       Created the WAN interface in snort.

5.       Checked ALL the rules to activate them.

6.       Even restarted both pfsense and the snort service.

I just for some reason can’t get the darn thing to log events….as a test. I
activated teamviewer rules and tried to block an event and couldn’t get it
to do that. So my thinking is….Its somewhere at the interface. I just don’t
know what I need to do. Any help would be greatful!

Josh

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest Snort
news!