Snort mailing list archives

Re: var or ipvar?

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:44:48 -0500

If "var" defines an IP or IP list (IPv4 or IPv6), it is stored in the same
structure as if you had used "ipvar", i.e.

var HOME_NET 192.168.0.0/24

is equivalent to

ipvar HOME_NET 192.168.0.0/24

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>wrote:

On 1/28/2013 15:39, Y M wrote:
 From Snort 2.9.4 release notes:

"Consolidation of IPv6 -- now only a single build supports both IPv4 &
IPv6, and
removal of the IPv4 "only" code paths."

Does this mean that ipvar should support both IPv4 and IPv6 and var is
deprecated/ no longer needed? Or am I totally off topic here?

this is exactly what i'm talking about...

In previous installations of Snort, we had ipvar and var both at the
same config
file and we did not see any problems, however, we didn't have IPv6
enabled at
that point of time.

and especially this where both were used at one time... we didn't have to
worry
then because we didn't have a working IPv6 in our package... but now we
have
people taking it onto themselves to forcibly upgrade snort because they
can't
get any new rules and they are under the mistaken idea that they /have to
have/
new rules all the time... like the old ones are going to go stale and
stink up
the place or something... so they go thru everything to get a working
binary in
our development package and install it only to find it falling over or not
logging anything and it is starting to look like it is coming down to the
use of
var and/or ipvar in some cases...

YM