Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rebuilding the wheel

From: Mike Miller <mike () millertwinracing com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 09:22:23 -0700

(Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I found this buried in my Drafts folder)

I like Security Onion, a lot, but it's kinda geared to less traffic than I'm expecting. Figure two Perimeter 10 gig
feeds, and a couple hundred internal firewall interfaces that need monitoring. It's a Statewide consolidated network.

Yes, Security Onion does full packet capture by default.  You can
disable it if you wish, but it provides tremendous forensic
capability.

I agree wholeheartedly...except where the pipe is running at Gig speeds and the firewall is averaging 150 MBps. I
shudder to think what the hardware requirements would be at our ASA 5580's.

What I'm looking for is automation to roll out and manage a box that does IDS stuff and receives syslog feeds to
give visibility...from 22+ locations.

Security Onion can receive syslog feeds and store them in ELSA, a
central web interface similar to Splunk, but free.

I will look into this.

If you have further questions about Security Onion, please feel free
to use our mailing lists:

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
--