Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort CPU usage

From: Mike Miller <mike () millertwinracing com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:01:18 -0700

I believe they solved the problem by dodging it. Rather than multi-threading snort, they use PF_RING to get access
closer to the hardware, and does so in a way that multiple threads running the same config will get access to separate
packets (I'm still coming up to speed on it).

There are also PF_RING aware NICS that greatly improve processing....and I believe Suricata is multi-threaded, but I
haven't used it yet, myself.