Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using a var in the conf and local rules

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:29:05 -0500

From: honeybadger () q com [mailto:honeybadger () q com]
Hey all,

I am adding scanners for 600+ suspect IPs in a text file.
Ok adding in include snort.var
Adding var IP_RULES
Then tcp any any - > $IP_RULES any (msg:"suspect IP detected; sid 4525;)
I would like if the alert would tell me which IP it found.
Usually I would use a content but this is different.
Any know how to set this up?

Thanks,

Wonder if adding these to the reputation blacklist would do the trick?  Not sure.

James

I'd recommend the IP reputation blacklist for that.  Instead of doing IP rules.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT