Snort mailing list archives

Re: Way to generate alerts?

From: Heine Lysemose <lysemose () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:22:25 +0100

Hi

Have you tried; curl testmyids.com?

/Lysemose
On Jan 10, 2013 11:12 PM, "Matthew Van Gent" <matthew () crosspetroleum com>
wrote:

Hello,****

** **

I apologize if this is the wrong spot to send this email, I am new to
snort. I have used autosnort(https://github.com/da667/Autosnort ) on my
Dell Poweredge T310 server running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. I have configured
port mirroring on my external connection and confirmed with wireshark that
it is working, however, I am not receiving any generated alerts from snort.
Is there a way to generate alerts guaranteed? I have nmap on an external
machine, and when I run a nmap “attack” against this IP I do not receive
any alerts via Snort Report. I am trying to narrow down if snort is
misconfigured, barnyard2 is not functioning, or something else entirely.**
**

** **

Any information on this is welcome.****

** **