Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rules across tcp headers & http headers/payload

From: Andy Richards <andy.richards.iit () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 10:23:58 +0000

Thanks both that very useful especially the example you have given. I'll give flowbits a go. Yes your, correct point
one is invalid, my example should have been syn followed by the usual syn/acks before the http post so I can add this
into the rule. More importantly I think your comments in regard to performance and use of Snort are more important as
you have confirmed that I could be using Snort for something it's not really designed to do. May something like network
behavioural analysis would be the way to go with Snort feeding packets and alerts into such a system maybe via the
unix_alertsock to identify such behaviour?

Most useful thanks.

Andy.

Sent from my iPad