Snort mailing list archives

Re: reputation preprocessor and IDS

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:17:12 -0400

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:

On 6/4/2013 15:36, JJC wrote:
Yes, the IP Rep preprocessor works in passive mode just like it does in
inline
mode, other than drop of course.

correct on the drop method... we don't even use it :)

i'll have to dig and see if there is/was a bug that was fixed from 2.9.4.1
the latest snort versions... i whitelisted a CIDR block and they still
generate
alerts... specifically, we saw alerts on 129:20 when snort was reloading
after
setting the CIDR block in the whitelist file and bouncing snort with a
complete
exit and startup... we've also seen 128:4 when sshing into that sensor on a
non-standard port but we DO have that non-standard port listed in the ssh
config
section of snort.conf... these alerts happen for only a short time and then
snort seems to settle down and stop issuing them even though those same
connections are still active or being terminated and restarted again...

Do you have stream5_tcp: require_3whs set?  That might help reach steady
state sooner.

i've just tested again an hour after the above alerts were logged and am
seeing
the same alerts as noted above... the traffic is very light compared to
what
many systems see... it is only a 100M internal LAN... there /may/ be some
swapping going on on that test sensor... i'm seeing 7M of swap space
currently
used but i really don't think that that is getting in the way here...

Do you have reputation: white trust set?  Default is to unblack (not trust).

Also, you may need to set reputation: scan_local if the alerts are on local
addresses.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net