Snort mailing list archives

Re: Doubt about configuration HOME, EXTERNAL.

From: "Morris, Shane (US SSA)" <shane.morris () baesystems com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:00:04 +0000

Agus,

When you're watching traffic leaving your network you're looking for things like users going to infected sites, CNC,
bad domains/IPs, data exfil, etc It's just as important as watching the noise banging off your web servers.

If your net is just the /24 than I think your variables are correct. The rules would header would be HOME_NET ->
EXTERNAL_NET. Also Snort default HTTP_PORTS variable includes proxy ports so you can catch your users going to the net
through a proxy port.

The best thing to do is run some dumps on your listening port/s and analyze the traffic along with some accurate net
diags.