Snort mailing list archives

Re: Poor performance with Snort 2.9.4.6 under OpenBSD 5.3

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:40:39 -0400

On Jun 19, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Markus Lude <markus.lude () gmx de> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 08:04:55PM +0000, Andy Nguyen wrote:
I have the same problem with snort 2.9.4.5 and Openbsd 5.2 i386.

What keeps you from running a newer release? Why not use packages, or if
they are a bit outdated, help test updates? Most, if not all problems
you face may have already dealt with.

Maybe Joel will finally stop pushing people to build snort themselves,

Not until packages are maintained.  We can't do them all.

especially if they use "howtos" like the one on the snort home page,
which includes horrible advice and as I already stated some time ago
should better be removed, at least the one about OpenBSD.

I'm always looking for contributions.  If something is wrong, either contact the author to correct it, or write a
better one.  They are written by volunteers that dedicate their time to helping people.

Always a good use of time.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT