Snort mailing list archives

help with issue, may not be snort related

From: Pete Keller <pkeller () billbarrettcorp com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 17:58:03 +0000

I was advised by the Information Systems Security Officer at a US government website (that my end users cannot access)
to call snort.org "and explain(ed) what's happening to your company."

Please send helpful redirects as necessary.

I contacted the support group for the eia.gov website letting them know that we have not been able to access their
website for the past month. I have reviewed our systems and we are not blocking access to their servers at all. After
giving all the information I could about the issue to the eia.gov support group, I have been informed by them that

"EIA has not blocked you,  EIA uses commercial security products, which are updated by vendors which have the ability
to block IP addresses of known/suspected harmful sites.  If this has occurred to your organization/company, you must
contact internet security businesses that monitor and blacklist IP traffic on the internet [i.e.,
SNORT.ORG<http://SNORT.ORG>]. EIA has no control over the addition/deletion of IP addresses from the aforementioned
lists."

I have run multiple searches online to see if our public IP address is in any publicly available black list and cannot
find it.  The support tech at eia.gov has stated that our public IP is on a black list but I cannot confirm his
statement.  I understand that eia.gov will not want to tell me which product they are using for security, but that
makes my ability to contact Internet security business that monitor and blacklist IP traffic difficult.

Doing more research, I have found a website where 3 other people have commented that since the beginning of April 2013,
they have not been able to access the eia.gov website through their business network but could access it from home.  My
end users have told me that they have been unable to access eia.gov since the beginning of April.

While reading about snort.org and setting up the system, it appears that the blacklist file is user editable, but it is
unclear if snort.org maintains a blacklist of IPs for subscribers. If that is the case, what services do users utilize
to build their blacklist files?

Any useful help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pete