Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about SO Rule 3:21355

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 16:10:30 -0400

Send it to Patrick and he can take a look.  I think he wrote the rule :)

On Sep 6, 2013, at 3:39 PM, Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com> wrote:

Joel, would you like me to send you a small pcap that shows this
problem happening?  It seems to be a FP, but if it's a known problem,
then maybe we'll disable this.

Thanks

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com> wrote:
Ok.. so looking at the source and your email, we're talking about the
transaction id being different between the query and the response.
Well, then we have another odd issue, because in these cases, it's the
same.

When we have the full pcap (a few minutes before and after) , we can
trigger the following alerts:

09/05-15:28:49.843677  [**] [3:21355:2] BAD-TRAFFIC potential dns
cache poisoning attempt - mismatched txid [**] [Classification:
Attempted Information Leak] [Priority: 2] {UDP} 170.149.173.133:53 ->
xxx.yyy.152.55:51813
09/05-15:28:50.851973  [**] [3:21355:2] BAD-TRAFFIC potential dns
cache poisoning attempt - mismatched txid [**] [Classification:
Attempted Information Leak] [Priority: 2] {UDP} 170.149.173.133:53 ->
xxx.yyy.152.55:51397
09/05-15:29:02.068531  [**] [3:21355:2] BAD-TRAFFIC potential dns
cache poisoning attempt - mismatched txid [**] [Classification:
Attempted Information Leak] [Priority: 2] {UDP} 170.149.172.100:53 ->
xxx.yyy.152.55:52716

and when we filter the pcap to just show these 6 sessions (3 request,
3 response) the rule doesn't fire (so yeah, that's odd).  And of
course, with the same txid, it shouldn't fire at all.

I've attached screenshots showing the query and response info from wireshark.