Snort mailing list archives

Rule for filtering Telnet protocol

From: Carlos Jimenez <cjimenez () eneotecnologia com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:06:50 +0200

Hello eveybody,

I'd like to create a rule for Snort to detect Telnet traffic, regardless the port it is used for the Telnet session. Is there any way to do it? I guess that the ftp-telnet preprocessor normalizes the telnet (and ftp) traffic so, is it possible to create a rule from the ftp/telnet preprocessor? i. e. taking advantage of normalized fields from the preprocessor. I have sniffed a Telnet session and I've realized that there are several commands (i. e. Do, Will...) that they seem to belong to the Telnet protocol itself. I have created a rule like this:

/alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"Telnet"; content:"|FF FB|"; rawbytes; sid:1000; rev:1;)/

Using that rule I got to detect the "Will" command but avoiding the decoding process and I'm not sure at all that it doesn't generate false positives with other protocols.

Please, could you give me advice about this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Carlos.