Snort mailing list archives

Re: high packet loss - low throughput

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:24:13 -0400

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Michal Purzynski <michal () rsbac org> wrote:
On 7/21/13 2:03 PM, Joel Esler wrote:

Yes, performance that low seems incorrect. I don't think it's Snort with
numbers that low.

Also, a question for the more experienced. I have a simple setup - load
balancers in front of everything, doing L7 and terminating SSL. Snort gets a
copy of all the traffic and that means it can see:
1. traffic from Internet to load balancers
2. traffic from LB to the backend servers
3. traffic from the backend to LB
4. traffic from the LB to the Internet

It's clear it can see the same traffic twice, sometimes enrypted sometimes
decrypted (SSL preprocessor enabled, so the encrypted traffic is being
ignored).

Question: does it make sense to leave it like this or should I only direct
the "internal" traffic to snort? You know, the one between the LB <->
backend?

Use two distinct instances or nth instance with two different
configuration specs to match below.

one that will monitor your external traffic

net <-> LB

one that will monitor your internal traffic.

LB <-> backend

Then correlate the output of those two instances.

-elz