Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to tune two rules?

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 22:45:00 -0400

On 8/8/2013 09:31, Turnbough, Bradley E. wrote:
Guys,

I'm pretty new at using snort, and I'm trying to tune two rules.

Can someone please tell me how to tune these two rules?

gen_id 124, sig_id 7  -- smtp: Attempted header name buffer overflow

gen_id 124, sig_id 1  -- smtp: Attempted command buffer overflow

My sensor is sitting in between my SMTP relays on the outside and my
firewall, and I get several thousand of these daily.  I'm sure a majority of
them are false positives, but none-the-less I need to tune this wild animal.

what are your settings for the smtp preprocessor? unless i'm mistaken, that's
where these alerts originate... you may be able to adjust these specific items
to fit your environment...