Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard2 issue w/unified2 ?

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 08:19:01 -0400

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu> wrote:
On 8/9/2013 10:53 PM, beenph wrote:
I would highly suggest you that you
re-create a new DB with InnoDB and restart your barnyard2 sensor.

Also which version of by2 are you running?

I am running...

[jeff@snort-campus ~]$ barnyard2 -V

  ______   -*> Barnyard2 <*-
 / ,,_  \  Version 2.1.13 (Build 327)
 |o"  )~|  By Ian Firns (SecurixLive): http://www.securixlive.com/
 + '''' +  (C) Copyright 2008-2013 Ian Firns <firnsy () securixlive com>

I'm afraid I haven't a clue about how to alter the database, but is it
data-destructive?  Or just a rebuild of MySQL?  I have months of
archived data...

Well the best way to do this is to really create a new database.

1. stop everything connected to your database server, (clients / web
iterfaces and so).

2. you probably have a older version of mysql thus you will probably
have to for it to use innodb
   at startup.
   From mysql manual :
<SNIP>
To set up InnoDB as the default storage engine with an earlier MySQL
release, either specify on the command line
--default-storage-engine=InnoDB, or add to your my.cnf file
default-storage-engine=innodb in the [mysqld] section, then restart
the server.
</SNIP>

So you can open a client connection with mysql and create a new database.

For example if your current database is called Snort , call the new
database Snort-New

and from there create your users / alter your users acl so that they
can access it, re-create the schema etc...

One table you can probably copy over is the sensor table if you want
(from the previous database to the new database)
the only thing i would recommend is to run the following command
before starting any by2 process on the new database.

UPDATE sensor SET last_cid='0';

With this way, you will keep your old data, you just have to point
your web UI to the old database if you need to consult
your archive.

And repost this to the list if you wish, I can't seem to get in the
google groups barnyard2-users without using gmail credentials...

Np.

Let us know if you have some issues.

-elz