Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Performance

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:38:30 -0400

On Sep 5, 2013, at 6:39 AM, Julian Wiegmann <julian.wiegmann () db com> wrote:

I have a VPS server with a 2Ghz dedicated CPU and 1G RAM. I run some web services with hardly put any strain on it
but I do have a lot of traffic.

How much traffic in Mbps could I expect to inspect with a balanced security policy and some pre-processors enabled?
300Mbps? 500Mbps?

Define what you mean by “some pre-processors enabled” first.

Otherwise, your milage will vary based upon a ton of factors.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT