Snort mailing list archives

Re: First time snorting ... ERROR: The dynamic detection library ...

From: Alan McKay <alan.mckay () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:39:33 -0500

If you run Snort in console mode (-A console) for testing purposes, do you
see any alerts?

Nope.  I ran it without the redirect this time of course and with -A
console, and it gets to this point :

           Preprocessor Object: SF_DNS  Version 1.1  <Build 4>
           Preprocessor Object: SF_POP  Version 1.0  <Build 1>
Commencing packet processing (pid=20459)

And after that I hit it again with nmap -O as well as continual ssh
attempts.   It just stays like the above with no more output.

Another thing, how does your unified2 output plugin look
like in your snort.conf file? Also, what rules you have enabled?

I'm using the default snort.conf from the document that I posted in my
first thread.  It seems to be the default from the distro.  The only
changes I make are these near the top of the file, and I only made
those after my initial attempts with all defaults failed.   Here are
my changes :

# Setup the network addresses you are protecting
ipvar HOME_NET MY_REAL_IP_REMOVED
# Set up the external network addresses. Leave as "any" in most situations
ipvar EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET

I dumped the full contents of the snort.conf at the top of my google
doc for perusal.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bd3atMiqTBvbwF8BIpZDSVEr1vYniyM0GSIHZGvVWO8/edit?usp=sharing