Snort mailing list archives

Re: What to do?

From: James Lay <digitalx00 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 06:37:05 -0700

On Nov 21, 2013, at 2:27 AM, Ellad G. Yatsko <eyatsko () ngs ru> wrote:

Hello!

We have Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 LTS with snort 2.9.2 - both installed from
scratch. Snort 2.9.2 distribution is native for this Ubuntu Release.

~# snort --daq-list
Available DAQ modules:
pcap(v3): readback live multi unpriv
ipfw(v2): live inline multi unpriv
dump(v1): readback live inline multi unpriv
afpacket(v4): live inline multi unpriv
~#

[redacted]

Please, help... :-)

Kind regards,
Ellad Yatsko

I run the same OS, and while Ubuntu is great for keeping some things up to date, at the speed at which Snort is
updated, you’re only real option is to go from source.  2.9.2 is ancient…I’d install 2.9.5.5 so you can get the full
ruleset.  Keep in mind it’s not going to be pretty as you’ll most likely have to rip out the current Snort.

James