Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort appears to be successfully compiled, but I cannot run it.

From: Jeremy Hoel <jthoel () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:51:03 -0700

If you are compiling from source there is an example config file in the
tarball. Just copy and modify to meet your needs.  There should also be one
in the rules tarball too.
On Jan 20, 2014 7:45 AM, "Gee Zany" <krimpton11 () outlook com> wrote:

Okay I guess I found out the reason why. Snort, when compiled from source,
is not detected as a program by the command 'which' .

I have to cd to /usr/local/snort/bin and execute './snort' instead.  The
first execution has some errors which were solved by 'sudo ldconfig' .

I have another query though, is snort.conf supposed to be manually created
by ourselves ?