Snort mailing list archives

Re: Getting Incorrect URL Error Message for a working URL

From: MMartin () jwpepper com
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:41:22 -0500

Hey Guys,

Sorry to double post, but I think I may have found the problem...

Looking at the Perl code for oinkmaster.pl I found the section that checks
the URL by comparing it to a REGEX... You can see in the snippet of code
below, that the regex wants the URL to end with ".tar.gz" --or-- ".tgz"...
Which is why my URL wouldn't work...

        Here is the REGEX from the Snippet below ==>
/^((?:https*|ftp|file|scp):\/\/.+\.(?:tar\.gz|tgz))$/

__________________________                      __________________________
                                    CODE SNIPPET
# Make sure all urls look ok, and untaint them.
my @urls = @{$config{url}};
$#{$config{url}} = -1;
foreach my $url (@urls) {
        clean_exit("incorrect URL: \"$url\"")
unless ($url =~ /^((?:https*|ftp|file|scp):\/\/.+\.(?:tar\.gz|tgz))$/
        || $url =~ /^(dir:\/\/.+)/);

my $ok_url = $1;
:.....MORE CODE.....
}
________________________END CODE SNIPPET________________________

The problem is my URL actually ends with my Oinkcode and  NOT the file
name...

I think I'll try to adjust the REGEX to match MY url and give it another
try in the morning... I'll let you guys know what happens just in case
anyone else has or had this issue and isn't familiar with Perl and/or
REGEXs. Although, I could probably just remove the '$' at the end of the
REGEX and it should probably work just fine since that matches the end of
the line, and by including "^" at the start, and '$' at the end, it's
basically saying it has to start and end exactly like this..... And
removing the '$' will basically just make it want to see that ".tar.gz" or
".tgz" is included somewhere in the URL...

I'll post back shortly. Again, sorry about double posting...

Thanks Again,
Matt