Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort won't generate alerts with single snort.rules file

From: Michael Wisniewski <wiz561 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 15:41:34 -0600

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Anacleto Junior
<suporte.anacleto () gmail com>wrote:

I got some errors like:
WARNING: /etc/snort/rules/snort.rules(15678) GID 1 SID 24017 in rule
duplicates previous rule. Ignoring old rule.

I've read that this is normal and not to worry about it.

But it moves on...

4539 Snort rules read (so I assume it is reading the
    4208 detection rules
    0 decoder rules
    4 preprocessor rules
4212 Option Chains linked into 185 Chain Headers
0 Dynamic rules

So I kind of went some problems with alerts not alerting.  For me, it
turned out to be me not setting the HOME_VAR up correctly.  I would
recommend using "ANY" and see what happens.  The other idea is what you
said above....  "0 decoder rules".  I'll preface this with I'm not a snort
expert and still learning how it works.  I'm wondering if nothing is
getting alerted because snort can't decode something.  Here's what my
startup looked like....

23697 Snort rules read
    20131 detection rules
    150 decoder rules
    268 preprocessor rules
20549 Option Chains linked into 1136 Chain Headers
0 Dynamic rules

As you can see, I have 150 decoder rules.

Also, for reference, you can see what my startup looks like here...

http://pastebin.com/ZGpEMj7t

Hopefully you can figure it out.