Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Configuration

From: Nanda Vardhan <nandu7ninja () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:36:49 +0530

I manually set up the NIC to promiscuous mode and gave all commands in
super user mode but of no use. I still cant sniff the packets of other
devices connected to the network.

And now as u mentioned i tried updating snort but i was end up with  error
mentioned below. I am unable to go any further. stuck up here. help me

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nanda@nanda-Satellite-L755:~$ sudo apt-get install snort
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
snort is already the newest version.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up snort (2.9.2-3ubuntu1) ...
 * Stopping Network Intrusion Detection System
snort                            *  - No running snort instance found
 * Starting Network Intrusion Detection System  snort
[fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript snort, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing snort (--configure):
 snort