Snort mailing list archives

Re: Diff between max_queue and log (README.event_queue)

From: "Nicholas Mavis (nmavis)" <nmavis () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 17:32:25 +0000

Your understanding is correct, you can also specify the order_events flag to determine the way incoming events are
ordered.

Nick

From: Balasubramaniam Natarajan <bala150985 () gmail com<mailto:bala150985 () gmail com>>
Date: Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM
To: "snort-users () lists sourceforge net<mailto:snort-users () lists sourceforge net>" <snort-users () lists
sourceforge net<mailto:snort-users () lists sourceforge net>>
Subject: [Snort-users] Diff between max_queue and log (README.event_queue)

HI

Could some one please explain the difference between max_queue and log ?  I don't understand what is ment by "only 8
events will be stored for a single packet or stream".  So if we have 8 defined for max_queue and 3 for log would that
mean snort will log just 3 out of the 8 events which got triggered for that packet/stream ?

https://github.com/jasonish/snort/blob/master/doc/README.event_queue

max_queue

----------

This determines the maximum size of the event queue.  For example, if the
event queue has a max size of 8, only 8 events will be stored for a single
packet or stream.

The default value is 8.

log

---

This determines the number of events to log for a given packet or stream.
You can't log more than the max_event number that was specified.

The default value is 3.

--
Regards,
Balasubramaniam Natarajan