Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort searching algorithm

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 04:43:05 +0000

P.S.: Please reply to the entire list so everyone can benefit/participate, and not only to the person who replied to
your request.
If I am understanding your request right, then there are several preprocessors through which the packet stream passes
through before it hits the detection engine (I guess?, logically speaking). For example, packet decoders and the
reputation preprocessor get to process packets before the detection engine. However, these preprocessors also have
rules (text or SO rules) and will log certain traffic anomalies (rules) or when a blacklisted IP is matched by the
reputation preprocessor, respectively. My understanding is that these preprocessors will output directly to the output
plugin, as opposed to "consulting" with the detection engine before the actual output is made.
YM