Snort mailing list archives

Couple of questions.

From: "Allan" <yummycheese () cogeco ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 18:19:16 -0400

Hello,

Snort newbie here.

I have a few questions.

When I run Snort on my wan interface it doesn't log most of the alerts. I'll scan my IP from a friends house using
Nessus and all that really shows up is a port scan from his IP.

If I run Snort on my lan interface everything shows up from the Nessus scan which is good but the problem with that is
I get 100's of alerts from my private IP's going out to the internet. I tried ignoring the alerts with a bpf file with
!(src net 192.168.1.0/24) but that just seems to stop logging all alerts.

Snort is running on my Freebsd gateway firewall.

Why would running Snort on my wan interface only show port scans and a few other alerts.