Snort mailing list archives

Only seeing TCP Alerts

From: Matt Martin <MMartin () jwpepper com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 21:13:27 +0000

Hello All,

I have recently gotten Snort 2.9.6.0 installed, along with Barnyard2, Oinkmaster, and BASE as the frontend.

When I open the web page on the server for BASE and view the home page I only see, TCP (100%), in the "Traffic Profile
by Protocol". Everything else, is showing 0%.
For example, I see:
            TCP (100%)
UDP (0%)
ICMP (0%)
Portscan Traffic (0%)

I'm wondering why ALL the others are at 0%? Over the last 48 hours or so there has to have been some kind of UDP
traffic, don't ya think?
I also attempted to run a portscan (*using "nmap 10.60.114.0/24") on the whole ipvar configured for HOME_NET. But I
don't think the Portscan part was picked up either...

If I check the MySQL database for snort, the "tcphdr" table has tons of data in it, but the "udphdr" table is
completely empty. If I run "select * from udphdr", mysql returns "Empty set (0.00 sec)". So I'm not sure if I have
snort configured correctly or not..?

Is there any tests that anyone could suggest to help me figure out why UDP, ICMP and Portscan are not being picked up?
If you need to see my snort.conf, just let me know. If so does the mailing-list take attachments?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
Matt