Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort alerts to a remote syslog server

From: Stephen Gantz <stephen.gantz () faculty umuc edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 09:29:50 -0400

To get Snort to direct output to the syslog server, open the snort.conf file and edit the output plugin configuration
for syslog in Step #6. By default it reads:
output alert_syslog: host=127.0.0.1:514, LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT

You just need to replace the localhost IP address with the address of your syslog server (and change the port if you
aren't using the default 514).

I find when I run Snort with syslog that even with the snort.conf options configured correctly, I still have to add -s
to my startup command to get the output to syslog properly. That's not the way the documentation says it works, but it
has been my personal experience.

Dr. Stephen D. Gantz
CISSP-ISSAP, CEH, CGEIT, CRISC, CIPP/G, C|CISO
Associate Professor of Information Assurance
The Graduate School
University of Maryland University College
stephen.gantz () faculty umuc edu