Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can't generate alerts on HTTP GET attacks

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 20:09:16 +0000

If you are looking for a rule covering bugtraq,10129 in general, there is a rule written already for that and should be
in the community ruleset with sid:2588. If this is not what you are looking for then signatures specific to your case
need to be written. However, it is not clear from the description you provided. Are those GET requests targeted to web
servers run by you or by your friend? Depending on the direction, this may help:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET -> $HOME_NET 80 (msg:"some message here"; flow:to_server, established; content:"/index.php?";
http_uri; content:"keywords=http"; http_uri; metadata: service http; classtype:web-application-activity; sid:xxx;
rev:1;)
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET -> $HOME_NET 80 (msg:"some message here"; flow:to_server, established; content:"/index.php?";
http_uri; content:"vid=http"; http_uri; metadata: service http; classtype:web-application-activity; sid:xxx; rev:1;)
There is room for enhancement by adding "depth" and "distance" modifiers to the above rules, but without pcaps, it
would be difficult to test. Also, you can combine both of these in one rule with little modifications and pcre. I see
in your rule a content of "id=", where this is coming from?
Also, is the path "/webcomm/masonVideos/index.php" static?
YM