Snort mailing list archives

Issues with remote syslog and snort.conf

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:31:53 -0600

From the docs:

2.6.1.3 Example
    output alert_syslog: host=10.1.1.1:514, <facility> <priority>
<options>

I have not been successful in getting this to work with either:

output alert_syslog: host=192.168.1.1:514, LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT host=192.168.1.253:514

both get me:
WARNING: snort.conf (171) => Unrecognized syslog facility/priority:
host=192.168.1.1:514

Is there something I'm missing to get this to go?  I know barnyard can
do this, but I'm not wanting to go down that path yet.  Thank you.

James