Snort mailing list archives

Re: Need help with Snort Rule for a HTTP GET parameter and pattern matching.

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:55:02 +0000

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:46:58 -0400
From: sabawoon.majeedzada () gmail com
To: snort-sigs () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-sigs] Need help with Snort Rule for a HTTP GET parameter and    pattern matching.

Hello Everyone,
I would appreciate if anyone can help me out with my snort rule.
I would like generate a snort rule that can detected a HTTP get paramter. Example: below

alert tcp any any -> any 80 (msg:"HTTP GET paramater"; content:"GET";
content:"/index.php?action=";http_method;sid:20000011;)
* The http_method content modifier should refer to the "GET" content match and the URI content match. So a modified
version of you rule:alert tcp any any -> any 80 (msg:"HTTP GET paramater"; content:"GET"; http_method;
content:"/index.php?action=";http_uri;sid:20000011;)

Right now when I type in http://www.example.com/index.php?action=login I do not get a alert generated using the rule
above.
Or how to detect if GET HTTP method with a specific parameter been used or passed a value.

Secondly, how to write a simple pattern that can detect a specific string or number pattern has been passed to this GET
parameter. Just a example pattern guidance would be nice.
* I am not sure what you mean here, but I am guessing something along the lines of a url query parameter?

Thanks,SF