Snort mailing list archives

Snort 3.0: Actions

From: Sancho Panza <sancho () posteo de>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 18:23:56 +0100

I am trying to implement a new action type in snort.
For that, I was looking at the source code to see how other action types
are realised and how this is supposed to work in general.

With the help of some extra debug statements, I found that
ActionManager::execute is entered when my rule strikes, with a test for
( s_action ) - which is set in ActionManager::queue. Alas, I've been
unable get s_action be set.
 From my understanding, this should be set from within
fpdetect.cc:fpLogOther() - but config-wise, how do I achieve that
rtn->listhead->action is set for a given rule?
I tried with writing a rule with action type "reject" which leads to an
invocation of ActionManager::get_action_type() when
parse_conf.cc:get_rule_type() is called, as the previous call to
get_action_type() returns RULE_TYPE__NONE.
But then, why is the action type of "reject": RULE_TYPE__DROP ? The list
head for drop doesnt have the action field set!!!
How is this supposed to work?

Many thanks

Sancho