Snort mailing list archives

Re: Creating a rule for RDP

From: "Simon Wesseldine" <simon.wesseldine () idappcom com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 10:57:22 -0000

Jason,

although I will not be able to provide you with the exact answer, I do have
advice on how I would tackle the problem.

I would use Wireshark to analyse the Client Server connections whilst you
perform some distinct operations. Then compare the encrypted conversations
in Wireshark, to see if you can identify the different processes taking
place. If you are able to identify different patterns and make valid
statements about those differences, then you should be able to write some
Snort rules. e.g. Byte 3, 5 and 7 coming from the Server are values \x08,
\x4f and \xf0, for every failed log in attempt, etc.

Obviously, if you cannot correctly identify the failed log in attempts from
the encrypted traffic, then this method will not be possible.

I hope that helps, good luck.

Best regards,

Simon.