Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using DNS response fields in an alert msg

From: Mustafa Qasim <alajal () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 00:48:44 +0500

my 2 cents

You don't need to write a rule for the HTTP and trace back to DNS query log.

If you step back from the HTTP transaction then you can get it done by
writing a simple rule for DNS. OpenDNS blocks pages by returning it's own
IP which leads the user to their block page. I just verified the IP i.e.
67.215.65.130.

You just need to write a rule that checks for this IP in DNS transactions.
It will trigger all those DNS replies having this IP. DNS reply packet also
holds the requested domain against which the IP is returned. Here you will
get logs of all those domains which were blocked by OpenDNS and who
requested them.

P.S. Just check if they have multiple IPs to write rules for all of them.

------
*Mustafa Qasim*
GREM, GCFE

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 6:19 PM, David Longenecker <david () 7longeneckers com>