Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cannot get Snort listen on a second network interface (creating a gateway)

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:05:01 +0000

Hello Henry,

Use “-i ” to set the monitoring interface. Some other uses with the daq are listed here:
http://manual.snort.org/node7.html

If you set an IP on that interface snort will only see the packets destined for that host.

You may want to span traffic to the monitoring interface and put it into promiscuous mode so you can see all traffic on
that subnet.

Also… Hosts on your network wont use your gateway to access each other because based on your subnet mask/network number
they are all in the same subnet. Once they ARP for the destination they will send the packets directly to the end point
and not your machine. Hosts will only use a default gateway to get to networks they don’t know about (not within their
current subnet).

Hope this helps.

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer