Snort mailing list archives

Re: Startup error post-package install

From: Research <research () nativemethods com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 20:32:58 -0500

On Feb 26, 2015, at 4:27 PM, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net> wrote:
One last question remains - my firewall is set to block all ICMP traffic and this shows up when running a ping on
another machine against the firewall - the responses are dropped and ping breaks.  However, on the server that the
firewall is on, Snort is able to see the ICMP traffic and fire the rule.

Does this mean that Snort is looking at traffic *BEFORE* iptables blocks/allows it ?

Thanks

Indeed it is.

James

Hi,

Thanks.  I thought that was the case, based on the results I observed, but I had been under the impression that
iptables took precedence.  Appreciate knowing how the stack works and where Snort plugs in.