Snort mailing list archives

Re: Segregating drop alerts

From: Anshuman Anil Deshmukh <anshuman () cybage com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 07:51:03 +0000

Sorry missed to give an example of rule set to drop.

Here is an example-

This is a default alert rule:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg:"ET SCAN SSH BruteForce Tool with fake PUTTY version";
flow:established,to_server; content:"SSH-2.0-PUTTY"; depth:13; threshold: type limit, track by_src, count 1, seconds
30; classtype:network-scan; sid:2019876; rev:2;)

Same rule is configured as drop rule using pulledpork dropsid.conf which makes the alert rule to drop rule

drop tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg:"ET SCAN SSH BruteForce Tool with fake PUTTY version";
flow:established,to_server; content:"SSH-2.0-PUTTY"; depth:13; threshold: type limit, track by_src, count 1, seconds
30; classtype:network-scan; sid:2019876; rev:2;)

Regards,
Anshuman