Snort mailing list archives

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: PulledPork and empty Emerging ruleset

From: <snort () outlook com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 21:48:03 +0000

There isn't really one right answer to your question. The short answer is it depends on your environment and associated
risk.
The long answer is that you may need to review the categories, rules, documentation, etc, and validate what best suits
your environment. In either way, VRT or ET, you eventually will end up knowing what is actually being enabled, with or
without policy. For example, there are lot of MS rules with security policy so they get enabled when you use the
security policy, however, the environment may be entirely comprised of Linux and OS X machines. In this case knowing
about the policy alone is not helpful.
I suggest you review what value ET rules can add to detection at your environment and what the rules/categories are
addressing, and where your risk is (malware, exploits, web servers, SCADA, etc).
Did I address the question or misunderstood the point?
Sent from Mobile