Snort mailing list archives

suppress not working for emerging threats rules

From: Matthew Ritenburg <Matthew.Ritenburg () ctg com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 18:24:40 +0000

I am testing suppressing all events for one IP address.  I am using a single suppress line in threshold.conf:

suppress gen_id 0, sig_id 0, track by_src, ip 192.168.100.25

Based on the documentation, I would expect this to suppress all events, but it appears that emerging threats rules are
still triggered:

[1:2001978:6] ET POLICY SSH session in progress on Expected Port
[1:2003020:9] ET POLICY TLS/SSL Encrypted Application Data on Unusual Port
[1:2010939:2] ET POLICY Suspicious inbound to PostgreSQL port 5432

Is this a bug?  Is there a trick to suppressing emerging threats rules?

Thanks,

Matthew

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message, please contact the sender and delete this material from this computer.