Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort not alerting although tcpdump shows packet

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:08:54 +0000

See the manual on IDS mode: http://manual.snort.org/node6.html

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (office) 443.430.7112
Email: allewi () cisco com

From: Kumarswamy H N (kumhn)
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 8:06 AM
To: Gaurav Srivastava; snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort not alerting although tcpdump shows packet

Snort will only alert if your traffic  matches any of the snort rules with action set to alert. So you must provide a
configuration file which includes an appropriate rule to alert for your traffic.  To start with, you can add a simple
rule to snort.conf that matches your traffic or enable appropriate rule protocol-icmp.rules .

Regards,
Kumar