Snort mailing list archives

Detecting Hydra tool - FTP attack

From: Marcio Guerreiro <marcio.guerreiro () hotmail co uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 10:07:48 +0100

Hi all

I am trying to figure out how to detect a number of attempts (4 - 100) of
password guessing without trigger the normal login of the user.

For example if I use one computer to deploy the command

root@golias:~# hydra -t 1 -l mark -P passwords.txt -Vv 192.168.1.77 ftp

and the rule to detect

I would be able to capture the malicious activity, but I would also capture
the user mark logging in the system. For me it is obvious that if I check my
log  and see 10 alerts it is suspicious and I would investigate. If I see
just one alert, I would assume that the user mark has logged normally. The
question is. does anybody knows if there any keyword that would detect
consecutive attempts rather than just one  or two ?

Thank you

Marcio