Snort mailing list archives

Re: lots of false positives, Neutrino

From: Nick Randolph <drandolph () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 12:49:24 -0400

An updated version of the rule was released today. Let us know if there are
still false positives.

On 2015-10-27 10:36 AM, Al Lewis (allewi) wrote:
Do you have a pcap of the traffic that you believe is a false positive
(that you can share)?

Without a pcap it will be hard to determine if the rule needs to be
adjusted.

Thanks!

Albert Lewis

QA Software Engineer

SOURCEFIRE, Inc. now part of CISCO

9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
 Columbia, MD 21046

Phone: (office) 443.430.7112

Email: allewi () cisco com

FROM: Grant.Sims () rksolutions com [mailto:Grant.Sims () rksolutions com]
 SENT: Friday, October 23, 2015 1:33 PM
 TO: snort-sigs () lists sourceforge net
 SUBJECT: [Snort-sigs] lots of false positives, Neutrino

I was looking at my snort alerts on SecurityOnion today and noticed a
TON of alerts for "EXPLOIT-KIT Neutrino exploit kit landing page
detected" (rule screenshot is attached)

looking at the rules for the past two years I have not seen many false
positives on exploit kit landing pages. however this seem to be coming
in for a wide range of users and a wide range of sites (everything
from dell to evite to bing domains)

Just curious if other people out there are experiencing this. with how
wide range it is and no other rules indicating compromise i believe it
is a false positive however with the current uptick in Neutrino
exploit kits in the wild I thought i would submit something here.

Thanks!

Grant

I uploaded pcaps yesterday via the Community portal as well as emailed
to research.

James