Snort mailing list archives

FW: starting multiple instances of snort

From: "Tony Reusser" <treusser () filertel com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 09:10:29 -0700

James,

I am only running two simultaneous instances of snort.  One snort server with two sniffing interfaces on two separate
network segments.

The way I am doing it, I have a separate snort.conf file for each “sensor” and each has its own output file for
barnyard (two instances of barnyard with two config files running also) and each has its own log file.

Not as complex as your deployment, but here’s how my startup looks:

/usr/local/bin/snort -dD -c /etc/snort/snort_eth1.conf -i eth1

/usr/local/bin/snort -dD -c /etc/snort/snort_eth2.conf -i eth2

#

#

/usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -D -f snort_eth1.u2 -d /var/log/snort/eth1_logs -c /etc/snort/barnyard2_eth1.conf

/usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -D -f snort_eth2.u2 -d /var/log/snort/eth2_logs -c /etc/snort/barnyard2_eth2.conf

Hope this helps.

                -tkr