Snort mailing list archives

NIDS + packet logging - only alert packets get logged

From: Rich Lee <laughingblade () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 14:46:47 +0000

Hi,

newbie kind of Q I'm afraid:

I'm running snort 2.9.8.0 & Barnyard2 in an Ubuntu 14.04 VM, set up
according to Noah Dietrich's guide.

I want to run snort as NIDS to alert, but also capture *all* packets.
According to http://manual.snort.org/node5.html I should be good with
'./snort -l ./log -b'

The command I'm running is './snort -c /pathto/snort.conf -i eth0 -l
/pathto/log -b', and I'm seeing timestamped log files as expected, but
only for alerts, not for other traffic...

My understanding from the docs is that the command line log switch
should log *all* packets, and output modules configured in snort.conf
will log processed/detected alert packets. I've tried this with output
module configured, and with no output modules at all - but snort
continues to log only alerting packets. I've confirmed that there
actually is other traffic to be captured by running wireshark alongside.

Does the -l -b switch work? Am I possibly missing something obvious?

TIA
Rich Lee