Snort mailing list archives

Re: VRT rules policy question

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 17:16:47 +0000

I agree.  But an issue needs to be raised in the pulledpork project.

--
Joel Esler | Talos: Manager | jesler () cisco com<mailto:jesler () cisco com>

On Apr 4, 2017, at 3:52 PM, Stanford Prescott <stan.prescott () gmail com<mailto:stan.prescott () gmail com>> wrote:

Thank you for your responses, Joel and Michael.

Perhaps I am oversimplifying this but, it seems to me that the emerging
threats rules could just be left alone. If someone wants to use the VRT
policies, they could be informed that ET doesn't participate in the
security policy settings and that the user should adjust their ET rules on
their own if they need to if they want to use the VRT rules policy and ET
rules together.

Maybe if it is felt that the ET rules need to be disabled, it would be
better to just remove the includes for the ET rules (comment them out) in
the snort.conf file instead of disabling each separate alert in each ET
rules file. That would make it somewhat easier for the user to re-enable
the ET rules files than having to uncomment each separate alert in the ET
rules files.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Joel Esler (jesler) <jesler () cisco com<mailto:jesler () cisco com>>