Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort / Rules / Pulled Pork

From: Marcin Dulak via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 16:27:27 +0200

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Dan O'Brien via Snort-users <
snort-users () lists snort org> wrote:

Ok, slowly I am trying to figure this out.

I run Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi on my network. I believe it is the reason
why I am getting multiple "protocol dns tmg firewall client long host entry
exploit attempt-19187" alerts.

The source ip for all the alerts are my internet service providers DNS
servers along with to ip of my Pi-hole Raspberry Pi. So, I need a simple
filter for this rule correct?

I figure I need this:

suppress gen_id 3, sig_id 19187 track by_src, ip 24.25.5.60,24.25.5.61

readable examples are given at
https://www.snort.org/faq/readme-filters
https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/snort-faq/blob/master/docs/README.filters

I ended up trying it in several different locations including snort.conf
and local.rules without any affect.

snort.conf contains the line
include threshold.conf
where you can write those suppress filters.

Last night, I put the statement at the bottom of snort.rules, which is
where all the pulled pork rules are. IT WORKED :-).

I woke up this am, hoping to continue eliminating some of my false
positive through this method and my additions were no longer at the bottom
of the pulled pork/snort.rules list.

pulledpork is configurable to download and update snort.rules - maybe this
is what happened?

Marcin

The false positives are still being enforced though.

I realize I am new and asking some really noob questions. I always try and
find the answers on the internet, problem is, I end up with old
information.

Any assistance greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Dan

"Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is
crooked in his ways." - Proverbs 28:6

Sent from my iPad

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort news!