Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort rules and flow analysis

From: Paulo Angelo <pa () pauloangelo com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:02:21 -0200

Hi Rugg Vale,

I faced the same problem some time ago.

The solution was the creation of a fork of Barnyard2 (named by
Barnyard2-hz), on which I implemented a flow extractor based on the nDPI
library.

To extract flows, I configure Snort to log the traffic combined with the
generated alerts into a Unified2 file. Then, I use Barnyard2-hz to extract
flows+Snort events and save into the HBase NoSQL DB.

Last month, I submitted two papers in which I used this architecture, but
they are under review.

Follow some references that can help you.

Architecture overview: http://ids-hogzilla.org/for-scientists/
Barnyard2-hz GitHub: https://github.com/pauloangelo/barnyard2

regards,

Paulo Angelo